Thursday, January 21, 2010

What IS the American Dream?



I just ran across this article on AOL and wondered if this could possibly be true:

'American Idol' and the Death of the American Dream
By Jam Donaldson
Some would look at "American Idol" and think it was the living and breathing personification of the American dream. Nobodies getting a chance to be international superstars; it is a once-in-a-lifetime chance at fame and fortune. Only in America! But somehow I don't see it as a great testimony to hope and the American dream. In my eyes, it shows just how hope-less so many of us have become.
Celebrity is our new religion. You don't want to be the best, or the smartest or the most honest or the person who worked the hardest. You just want to be the most famous. However you get there, it's fame that counts now. Those poor schmucks just want a chance to be somebody, anybody. America has taught us that celebrity is really the only thing that really counts. The only time YOU count.

I'm afraid she's got something here. This is what our kids have been taught. What are we going to do about it? Even if your kids are grown, there is still something you can do.  I don't know about you, but I have grandchildren - and I plan to fill their little heads with a different vision of what is admirable and what should be sought after.  Let's turn this around!

No comments:

Post a Comment