Thursday, April 15, 2010

Parenting in the Age of Computers


The computer has pretty much taken over my life.  I spend waaay too much time on it. Some of the time spent is worthwhile:  I’ve created family history books for my grandchildren, I wrote my autobiography, I’ve written (and published) five books, etc. and the internet has allowed me to connect with people that would have drifted out of my life.  The downside has been that I spend a lot more money because in the old days when I actually had to leave the house to go buy something, I could spend all day just looking for a pair of white pants – now, I can find them in five minutes…and in the process, find about three other things that I wasn’t even looking for. I'm on Facebook, MySpace, I have built numerous websites, and I blog.

The one thing I am really grateful for is that I didn’t have the internet when I was raising my family.  My girls turned out perfect (pardon me for bragging) because I was really truly there for them.  If I had spent as much time then on the computer as I do now, they would be completely different people:

When they’d say “Mommy, mommy, mommy,” I’d say “go out and play.”

When they'd get on my nerves, I would have said, "it's time for a nap.  I don't care if you've already had two naps today - you need another one."


They would have gone to bed at 5:00 p.m. and I wouldn't have let them out of their rooms until 9:00 a.m.


Fortunately for them, that wasn't an option.  However, to all of you mom's out there, this is a head's up.

There are ways to use the computer to educate your children.  When my grandchildren come over, they sit on my lap in front of the computer and we watch YouTube videos of the Three Little Pigs, Lightning storms, and dogs sliding down slides and doing other funny things. I've made books for them with photos I got off the internet of things they are interested in.  There are educational games to play.  Just keep in mind that they need to go outside and use their brains for fantasy play and they need the exercise - so don't use the computer as a babysitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment